go back to JFF

07 July 2010

Jeweler of the Month:
Heather Trundle

Bio
In April of 2001, a fateful trip to the Georgia Renaissance Festival awakened a creative fire that has been burning ever since....

My name is Heather Trundle and I am a wire jewelry artist. I grew up an Army Brat and have spent my life traveling from place to place...living in different states and different countries. I have always been creative, but focusing mainly on threadwork and yarns. Seven years ago, a trip to the Georgia Renaissance Festival ended with a trip to a craft store for my first set of pliers and a coil of cheap aluminum wire. I soon found out that wire is an extension of thread and yarn and the ability to create a beautiful piece of wearable art came naturally.

During the day, I wear a lab coat and am the Senior Research and Development Chemist for Plaid Enterprises, Inc. During the evening, after the children are in bed and night has fallen, I am a wire jewelry artist. I learned my art through videos, books, and trial and error with a lot of scrap wire. After one year of creating jewelry, I realized that I need to stop making jewelry or start selling it...Moonlight Creations was born. In 2009 I decided I needed a facelift and re-branded myself as Moonlight Wrapture - Expressing Your Wrapture in Style.

I design unique wire sculpted jewelry using Sterling Silver and 14kt Gold filled wire. My creations incorporate stone cabochons, faceted gemstone, pearls, shells, and any other item that I believe can be fashioned into a unique piece of jewelry. I create pendants, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and more.

Not only do I have the pleasure of creating and selling my wearable art; but for the last three years, I have had the satisfaction of teaching my art to others.

What was your first piece?
The first piece I ever created was a pair of earrings from the cheap gold colored aluminum wire that I bought with my first set of round nose pliers.

What is your creative process?
The muse hits me at all times and places. My ideas come from every aspect of my life and the world around me. I have an accordian file full of personal drawings and pictures. If I ever get blocked...I just rifle through my creative file and new ideas come to mind. I was at a stop light the other day and there was a white truck in front of me with black scroll work designs on the tail gate. I loved the look and quickly sketched out a similar pattern that should look great in wire...maybe for earrings or part of a necklace.

There are times that I can sit down with a stone cabochon and see the finished piece in my head. Then there are times that I just get some wire out and start wrapping the piece and am usually delighted what starts to take shape.

What is your favorite part of making jewelry?
I have two parts...

The moment a piece is polished and shines for the first time. There are still times that I look at a piece and can't believe that I just created that beautiful piece of jewelry.

The second favorite part is when I client puts on a piece and their eyes shine with delight. When I know that specific creation has just found a loving home with someone who will appreciate and wear it.

Who are your jewelry heroes?
I have to give a big thanks to Preston Reuther...he started me on this path eight years ago with his videos. But there are many artists who I have admired and learned from...Betty Baxter, Dale Armstrong, and Jessie Donnan to name a few.

What is on your bench now?
A lot of Red, White and Blue! I am finishing some work for the Museum of Patriotism in downtown Atlanta for 4th of July weekend. I am collaborating with a glass artist friend in creating one of a kind jewelry pieces for my "Freedom Collection".

What is your most indispensable tool?
My chain nose pliers. Though I am a tool junkie....I have to have on of my two favorite pairs of chain nose pliers with me on the bench whenever I start a new piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment