go back to JFF

14 January 2010

Archives November 2008 : New Item

JFF New Item :
Citric Acid Pickle

When I started making jewelry I used Sparex as my pickle solution. However, I found I was sensitive to the fumes and strong odor of the solution. Upon doing research, I found that there are two natural alternatives, white vinegar and citric acid. Since I already had the vinegar, I decided to try it first. While it worked, I found out rather quickly that hot vinegar has a foul odor.

I then decided to give the citric acid a shot. I ordered some citric acid from one of our suppliers to try. It worked great. While it’s not as fast as sparex, it still works quickly and I have yet to notice a smell at all.

Citric Acid is naturally occurring in many fruits and vegetables and is important to the basic metabolic functions of almost all living things. It is used in the food industry as a natural preservative and as an environmentally safe cleaning agent in soaps and laundry detergents. However, citric acid can also be used as a natural alternative to Sparex, PH Down, and other sodium bisulfate solutions.

Citric Acid Pickle comes in a concentrated powder form and should be used in a ratio of 1 part citric acid to 7 parts water. For example 1/2 cups (4 oz) citric acid to 3 1/2 cups (28 oz) water. While a stronger solution of 1:5 or weaker 1:10 works well also. The solution is most effective warm.

Use caution with the citric acid pickle, although it is naturally occurring and safe in foods, contact with dry citric acid or with concentrated solutions can result in skin and eye irritation.
The citric acid pickle is sold by the pound for $4.50*.

*prices may change without notice

1 comment:

  1. I have also been using citric acid for about 2 years- it works great!

    ReplyDelete