go back to JFF

22 January 2010

Archives January 2009 : Jeweler of the Month

Jeweler of the Month :
Jamie Cassavoy

Bio
I got my start in the jewelry making industry when I decided to go back to school and get an MFA in metalsmithing and design. I graduated from RIT School for American Craft in 1996 and from there worked for a couple of years for B.A.Ballou in East Providence, RI. B.A. Ballou is a large manufacturer of precious metal jewelry. There, I worked as a model maker. They were and still are a fixture in the findings and fine finished jewelry business.

In 1998, I moved to Birmingham, Alabama to live closer to my family and start my own jewelry design business, Cassavoy and Company. Today my company is based out of Atlanta.

From the beginning, the goal of my company, Cassavoy & Company, has been to make limited production and one of a kind jewelry made by hand. From sterling silver, 18K gold and precious and semi-precious gems, my staff and I handcraft each piece. My collection is constantly evolving, consisting of about 120 pieces that are all produced in my home studio.

What was your first piece?
A fabulous pair of sterling earrings that were designed using a photo of an antique chair for inspiration.

Who are your jewelry heroes?
Barbara Heinrich, Sydney Lynch, Harold O'Connor, Jacqueline Ryan, Biba Schutz

What is your design inspiration?
Nature - anything botanical really, all of the trees and flowers outside my studio window.

What is your favorite part of making jewelry?
The ability to be creative on a daily basis and to make things that have the potential to make someone feel like a million bucks.

What is on your bench now?
A lot of rubble and parts left over from the holiday rush plus new ideas for the upcoming additions to my line.

What is your most indispensable tool?
That great silicon wheel that Dallas suggested I buy. That and my flex shaft. (The Artifex Wheel)

No comments:

Post a Comment